07 February 2018 10:18
With the met office yellow warning for snow and ice tomorrow, NI Water is renewing its call to customers to check lagging on all water pipes and to tag their stop valve!
Sara Venning, NI Water’s Chief Executive, said: “NI Water is prepared for the snow and ice, we have teams and measures in place should we need them however, everyone has a role to play in preparing for freezing temperatures and ensuring that the water continues to ‘flo’ freely through our pipes all winter long.
“On a wider scale, if you imagine the impact of thousands of litres of water pouring out of burst water pipes; any water distribution network would struggle to maintain continuity of supply in those circumstances. Insulating your pipework is an essential action to protect your water supply and that of your neighbours.”
There are lots of simple things that homes and businesses can do to prepare for a cold winter, and there’s no time like the present to get started:
- Wrap up pipes and water tanks with lagging – high street DIY stores have everything you need.
- Fix dripping taps – even a small trickle can result in a frozen pipe.
- Find your property’s stop tap and make sure you can turn it off – most are under the kitchen sink.
- Leave the heating on low if you go away for a winter break.
- Check your central heating boiler has been serviced – it should be serviced annually.
- Keep the name of a plumber handy – type in your postcode at www.watersafe.org.uk to find your nearest accredited plumbing business.
Click here to watch the new NI Water social media video featuring Flo and for Further Information & Advice
All media enquiries to NI Water Press Office on 028 9035 4710 or email email@example.com