Utilities Unite against Covid-19
26 March 2020 17:00Some of Northern Ireland’s top utility providers; NI Water, NIE Networks, Phoenix Natural Gas and Openreach have moved to reassure the public they are continuing to work to keep you connected and safe within your home.
Mairead Meyer, Chair of the Joint Utilities Working Group and Director, Openreach Northern Ireland, says, “In these exceptionally difficult times, we want our customers to feel secure in the knowledge we are working to keep their water, electricity, gas and connectivity going. Never have our services been more essential to the health and wellbeing of our customers than now.
“We would also ask the public for their help during this time.
• If we need to visit your home during this time, to keep you and us safe, please make our staff aware if you are self-isolating. We will also ask you to respect social distancing for our colleagues if they are on your property.
• Beware of Bogus Callers – if you are concerned about the identity of someone at your door you can call the PSNI non-emergency number ‘101’ where you will have the option of a ‘Quickcheck’ to confirm the caller is from the utility they say they are.
• Some of our call centres are experiencing higher call volumes than usual. Where possible, for non-urgent queries, please refer to individual utility websites, Frequently Asked Questions and other means of communicating before making a call.
• We encourage all customers to keep a list of useful contact numbers to include details of their gas, electric, internet, mobile and telephone suppliers. Details of suppliers can also be found on each utility network website.
• If you see our vans or workforce out and about, we are there to maintain essential services for you and are observing the Government advice.
• Do not let children go near work sites or equipment, these can be extremely dangerous.
• Look to credible sources for information such as The Consumer Council website, which can provide guidance on travel, energy, finance and scam safety.”
Media enquiries to the NI Water Press Office via email to firstname.lastname@example.org