Winter is coming, there is no escaping that, but you can escape the effects of it by protecting the home you are renting against burst pipes.
NI Water is advising students about the devastating effects a burst pipe can have on the property they are renting. A burst pipe can destroy any electronic equipment left behind, class notes or coursework.
There are a few simple steps you can take to protect the house and your property:
- Check with your landlord if all the pipes in the house are lagged;
- Make sure you take all valuables with you or store in a safe location;
- Check everyone knows where the stop valve is.
If a burst occurs while you are in your rented accommodation, turn off the stop valve and have emergency contacts handy.
Make sure you know the answers to these questions:
- Are the pipes lagged?
- Am I insured, or covered by my landlord’s insurance?
- Where’s the stop valve to turn off the water supply?
- Who do I contact in an emergency?
It is in your interests to know if the property you are renting is protected from burst pipes; it may not be your house, but it is your stuff!