Don’t Wait – Insulate Your Business Now!
19 December 2016 15:40
The water supply to your business is extremely important, but do you know what you would do if it was lost?It’s the responsibility of businesses and other customers to protect their internal water pipes and fittings and repair them if they suffer any damage due to the weather or any other cause. A contingency plan is essential in case of supply disruption.
This winter, it is vital that businesses across Northern Ireland, large and small, are prepared to for any severe winter weather potentially coming our way. Don’t Wait – Insulate!
Prepare your business with the following simple steps:
- Ensure pipes are well insulated.
- Locate your stop valve and make sure all your staff know where it is and how to turn it off.
- If your business is beside an empty premises have an emergency contact number of the estate agent or owner in the event of a burst pipe leaking into your premises.
- Consider what you would do if you did lose your water supply for a prolonged period of time. You need to have a contingency plan, for example some businesses have a storage tank which will provide water for a certain period of time.
- If you have a meter, know where it is and check it regularly. A higher than normal meter reading can be the first indicator that there may be a leak on your property.
- If you are closing down your business for a holiday period, you need to make plans in the event of cold weather i.e. set your heating timer, have someone check the premises regularly.
- Have the number of a plumber who knows where your premises are and is prepared to attend at night if needed.
- Make sure you have adequate insurance to cover your property in the event of a burst pipe.
Entering a property and discovering a burst water pipe can be a shocking experience. A burst pipe can create a huge amount of damage in a very short period of time. It is easy to panic, but if you have a plan in place, you can turn off your water and minimise the damage.
What to do if you have a burst pipe:
- Turn off your stop valve (turn it clockwise).
- Call your plumber.
- Call your insurance company.
A burst pipe can have more implications than the immediate water damage caused. A business can close for weeks while the damage is repaired, losing vital income. Your water bill is also likely to be higher.
In short, it’s much cheaper to prepare for burst pipes than have to deal with the after-effects of them.Bearing all this in mind, it’s vital that all businesses in Northern Ireland have a plan in place this winter to combat any severe weather that might come our way. Your business can’t afford not to be prepared this winter.