Important advice to follow to prevent burst pipes during thaw
02 March 2018 16:22
NI Water is appealing for property owners to be extra vigilant and secure buildings in advance of the weekend when the temperatures are set to rise. This may cause frozen pipes to thaw and burst.
There are lots of simple things to do to secure your property:
- Leave the heating on low if the building is going to close for a few days.
- Check the building over the weekend.
- Find your property’s stop valve and make sure you can turn it off – in large buildings there may be more than one, make sure they are all working and can be turned off if needed.
- Wrap up pipes and water tanks with lagging.
- Fix dripping taps – even a small trickle can result in a frozen pipe.
- The most up-to-date information on areas experiencing disruption will be found on our website www.niwater.com. This includes a full postcode search facility for customers.
- The Customer Relations Centre is available to customers on a 24 hours a day / 365 days a year through Waterline 03457 440088.
- Detailed information on keeping safe and useful contact numbers is available on the nidirect.gov.uk website.