Avoid Frozen Pipes and Keep Water ‘Flo’ing’ Through Your Home This Winter
12 November 2019 12:48
NI Water’s winter mascot ‘Flo’ is on the road again this year to help remind the public to prepare for freezing temperatures and ensure that the water continues to ‘flo’ freely through our pipes all winter long.
Frozen pipes can burst and cause flooding, so it is vital when we are wrapping ourselves up that we take the time to make sure our pipes are well wrapped and protected from the cold weather. Our house isn’t just a house after all, it is a home.
Des Nevin, NI Water’s Director of Customer Service Delivery comments, “Over the coming months, NI Water winter mascot, Flo, will be delivering advice on what everyone needs to do to protect their property and possessions from the damage a burst pipe can create.
“The devastation caused by burst pipes cannot be underestimated. Not only can the water cause structural damage to a property, but the lasting damage in a home can be to personal items. Imagine losing electrical equipment such as tablets and mobile phones or worse, irreplaceable memories such as photographs.
“On a wider scale, if you imagine the impact of thousands of litres of water pouring out of burst water pipes, it puts a huge strain on the distribution network. Insulating your pipework is an essential action to protect your water supply and that of your neighbours.”
There are lots of simple things that homes and businesses can do to prepare for a cold winter, and there’s no time like the present to get started:
• Wrap up pipes and water tanks with lagging – high street DIY stores have everything you need; remember the thicker the lagging the better the protection;
• Fix dripping taps – even a small trickle can result in a frozen pipe;
• Find your property’s stop tap and make sure you can turn it off – most are under the kitchen sink - if you have one of our yellow tags, wrap this around it;
• Consider leaving the heating on low if you go away for a winter break;
• Check your central heating boiler has been serviced – it should be serviced annually;
• Keep the name of an approved plumber handy – type in your postcode at www.watersafe.org.uk to find your nearest accredited plumbing business.
Visit niwater.com/winter-proof-your-home to watch our social media video featuring Flo and for further advice on how to protect your property this winter.
Notes to Editors:
For further information, please contact NI Water’s Press Office on 02890 354710 or email email@example.com