NI Water is advising students about the devastating effects a burst pipe can have on the property they are renting. A burst pipe can destroy any electronic equipment left behind, class notes or coursework.
There are a few simple steps you can take to protect the house and your property:
- Check with your landlord if all the pipes in the house are lagged;
- Make sure you take all valuables with you or store in a safe location;
- Check everyone knows where the stop valve is.
If a burst occurs while you are in your rented accommodation, turn off the stop valve and have emergency contacts handy.
Make sure you know the answers to these questions:
- Are the pipes lagged?
- Am I insured, or covered by my landlord’s insurance?
- Where’s the stop valve to turn off the water supply?
- Who do I contact in an emergency?
It is in your interests to know if the property you are renting is protected from burst pipes; it may not be your house, but it is your stuff!