Don’t Wait, Insulate!!
26 February 2018 11:42
This week is set to be the coldest yet, don’t get caught out with a burst pipe in your home or business, lag all water pipes now and locate your stop valve. Lagging is cheap to buy, easy to fit and can save you from the devastation of flooding in your home or loss of business should you experience a burst pipe.
Sara Venning, NI Water’s Chief Executive, said: “NI Water is prepared for this weather, we have teams and measures in place should we need them however, everyone has a role to play in preparing for freezing temperatures and ensuring that the water continues to ‘flo’ freely through our pipes all winter long.
“On a wider scale, if you imagine the impact of thousands of litres of water pouring out of burst water pipes; any water distribution network would struggle to maintain continuity of supply in those circumstances. Insulating your pipework is an essential action to protect your water supply and that of your neighbours.”
There are lots of simple things that homes and businesses can do to prepare for a cold snap, and there’s no time like the present to get started:
- Wrap up pipes and water tanks with lagging – high street DIY stores have everything you need.
- Fix dripping taps – even a small trickle can result in a frozen pipe.
- Find your property’s stop tap and make sure you can turn it off – most are under the kitchen sink.
- Leave the heating on low if you are going away for a few days.
- Check your central heating boiler has been serviced – it should be serviced annually.
- Keep the name of a plumber handy – type in your postcode at www.watersafe.org.uk to find your nearest accredited plumbing business.
To watch the new NI Water social media video featuring Flo click Further Information & Advice
All media enquiries to NI Water Press Office on 028 9035 4710 or email email@example.com